So, tomorrow is Ryan's first appointment at the Diabetes Center tomorrow. I say Ryan's but we're both going. I know it's Ryan that has diabetes but it is our trial, not just his, and I feel it's important for me to be there with him every step of the way. So, we have no idea what to expect tomorrow, but we'll find out tomorrow! We had an appointment earlier this week with our family doc. and he felt the best thing for Ryan would be to get him on an insulin pump, sooner rather than later is what it sounded like. We had originally thought it would take a while, like a few months, to get sugars stabalized before putting him on a pump, but not sure it'll be that long.
Really we have no idea haha, we don't know what the appointment tomorrow is for, or what they'll do, but it sounds like he'll be getting on a pump soon so that should be good (I think?). What we do know is that it is just the first appointment at the Diabetes Center of what I am sure are many to come in our future.
It still seems strange that Ryan has diabetes. Having gone through gestational diabetes 3 times already, twice diagnosed, and having to test sugars all the time and change the way I had to eat, I hated it. And now Ryan has to do this life long. I guess I'm glad that I have the knowledge that I do from having had gestational diabetes, because it actually is coming in very handy, helping Ryan and changing our diet as a family and what not. Crazy who would have thought huh?
Oh and it is definitely type 1 diabetes. He had a TON of bloodwork done, and one of the tests showed a particular antibody was very high, which to the doc. proved type 1. To us meant nothing until he explained that this is because the antibody is what caused his own immune system to attack itself, in particular the pancreas. Among tests he also had his A1c test done, which shows what his sugar levels have been over the last 3 months. I am still learning all about this but basically the percent it should be at is under 7%. Anything above 7 is high, and anything above 10% is very high. His was 13.9% which means that over the last 3 months his sugars have been extremely high, which explains a LOT. Particularly the tremendous amount of weight lost over 2-3 months time.
Anyway, so we are gradually learning things, and hopefully tomorrow we will learn a lot more! I am so grateful we have great friends around here to take the kids for us so that we can go to these appointments together without the distraction, and without having to pay a babysitter everytime. So, if you're reading this and you are one of those friends THANK YOU SO MUCH!
On a side note: Bri is turning 8 months in a week!!! Where did the time go?? And in August I'll have two kids in school, so crazy how fast the time goes!!







No comments:
Post a Comment