Wednesday, May 18, 2011

trials and life changes

So, I'm not sure that anyone actually reads this blog anymore, but either way I look at it as a way to journal for my family. So, the happenings of this last week are for sure things I want to remember, not because of how great things have been, but so that looking back later in life I can remember how things came about.

Last Saturday night, May 14th, Ryan and I had enjoyed dinner at a friends house with a couple families, it was great! After getting home, Ryan was tired (as had been typical for the last month or so) and still very thirsty, which had also been typical as of late. So, I thought (for probably the tenth time this month) let me find my glucose monitor and you can check your sugar. He kind of though ok whatever, but wasn't too convinced it was necessary. So, he checked his sugar and the reading came back "HI". I had never seen that before, so I checked my blood sugar, it was 113. So, I made him check his again, and again it said HI. My parents happened to be in town just to visit for the weekend, so after they got back from the grocery store I made them check theirs too. I know, probably a bit much, but I wanted to be certain it was his sugar and not something wrong with the monitor. Both my parents fell in the low 100's perfectly normal. So, I googled the User Guide for the monitor and learned that a reading of "HI" meant that the sugar level was above 600. SERIOUSLY!??? Yeah, so we went into the ER that night, my parents stayed with the boys...just another simple blessing that someone was here to watch the boys because it was around midnight when we went in.

So, after getting to the ER they at first appeared to not think anything of it, and maybe we were over-reacting. So, they take his blood-sugar level and THEIR monitor also reads HI. So, at that point everyone gets moving. They come draw blood, take urine samples, get an IV started, and then we wait for results. His sugar comes back at 641. And so the doc comes in and asks LOTS of questions. After answering and speaking with him, he told us it was Type 1 Diabetes. We were a little shocked, but knew something was up so not too shocked. We asked "So, we need to see his doc next week and confirm a diagnosis?" And the ER doc just looked at us and said, no you have Type 1 Diabetes, and you need to see your doc Monday morning, it's crucial. So, that was surprising. Looking back, we should have gotten in to the doctor sooner, but I guess we didn't really put ALL his symptoms together till that night, and I had my monitor to confirm suspicions. Several people have asked "well what tipped you off?" The first things I noticed were his extreme thirst, and dry mouth...for the past few weeks he had complained of his mouth being dry often and was always wanting something to drink. The second clue was his tiredness. After reading through symptoms of diabetes I thought yeah he's been tired a lot. All of these symptoms we had attributed to his work schedule of working graveyard and having been sick a lot recently. And then he told me how much he weighed when he went into the doc 5 days earlier for sinus pain. I was pretty shocked. I mean I knew he was thinner, but he had lost 30 pounds in about 2 months, that's crazy! And then 5 days later when we went into the ER he had lost another SIX pounds. He was almost starving, because the sugar was not being taken from the blood stream for energy, it was taking it from his fat storage (which isn't much to begin with).

So, he was immediately put on insulin, and now comes the task of getting his body regulated with insulin shots and getting his sugars back to normal range. Eventually he will probably be on an insulin pump, and things will be a little less stressful, hopefully. I am prepared for all the changes that have to be made, and actually welcome some because it will help us to both be healthier eaters. Although he doesn't have Type 2 diabetes which can be helped, even go away with great diet and exercise, it will still be important for him to eat healthier, and differently for sure. He'll have to watch the amount of carbohydrates he eats constantly. I'm hoping that the transition will not be too challenging for us, and that we can just make lifestyle changes as a family so that it makes it easier for Ryan to get the nutrition he needs.

Right now I'm still kind of in a bit of a fog, and feel totally weighted down by the new challenge we're facing. But I know that it will wear off, and life will get easier for us, it's just a matter of time. We have both seen the effects of diabetes from those that Do take care of it and those that Don't, so we know the benefits and how full a life he can have if he/we are diligent about taking care of his diabetes.

It's also amazing to me how much I've seen the Lord's hand in things preparing us for this. We have gotten to a point in our lives where I was thinking, seriously, life is going so well for us right now there has to be a trial coming. I was almost just waiting for it, because life can't always be ups, and no downs. I just had not expected this to be the trial at all. So, when Ryan and I had decided about 2 weeks ago to take the summer off from school, it was because I felt we needed a break I guess. But what better timing to take a break. The Lord knew this time off was going to be important for us to get things under control and learn all we can about how to take care of Ryan and his diabetes, and it would have been 100 times harder if we were taking classes right now.

God knows us and he knows our needs, and he knows what we are capable of handling. While it feels like a lot right now, I know that I'll be able to handle it and Ryan will be able to handle it. He's taking everything in stride, and knows his life has changed forever. We also know that we couldn't get through it without prayer, and the Lord's help, so we rely on him when we feel overwhelmed. What a wonderful blessing it is to know that we aren't going through these trials in life alone. We truly are blessed, and we'll figure this challenge out, just like we do others. :) I have the most amazing husband ever, and while this brings new challenges for us, I married him for Eternity, and I am so grateful to have such an amazing companion by my side.

3 comments:

Amy Marble said...

What a blessing that your parents were there to help you when you needed it! I hope you don't care that I linked to your blog from FB! I didn't know you were a blogger - it's so fun to be able to keep up with people this way! Good luck with all of the changes you have ahead of you. I'm sorry you are going through this, but you have a great perspective & attitude about it all!

Crystal said...

I still read your blog. That sounds like it would be very difficult but I am so happy for you guys that you went to the ER when you did and figured things out. I hope the transition is getting easier and that he is doing ok. My prayers are with you and your family.

Derrinda said...

Wow...I'm glad you found out what it was! So happy to hear that you will have some time off to regroup and spend time together. *And I also read your blog;)